I've finished a handful of things over the past few months, but many of them were gifted shortly after I finished, and therefore I failed to get pictures (like the saddlbag for my mom's Sense of Independence) or just aren't very interesting -- plain ribbed socks in Lorna's Laces, for example. I also finished a couple things I'm pissed off at and need to drastically modify before I'll be willing to document them. However, here are a couple FOs I'm actually pleased with.
1) BagPattern: MercuryYarn: Elann Peruvian Collection Highland Wool Chunky
in a couple of greens that aren't there anymore. Modifications:
She calls for the flap to be done in twisted stockinette, claiming that it provides texture after felting -- I tried it in a swatch and found no difference, so given that it seems to take twice as long, I did it in plain stockinette. I also did the buttonholes differently than how she calls for, and they turned out fine. Added the internal structure thingie from one of my old laptop bags, for additional protection.Things I'd do differently if I made another:
I'd sew the flap on before felting. Sewing it on after was a pain in the ass, and I'm not convinced it's secure, as my sewing skills are not top notch. I'd also make the pocket bigger, and the strap shorter, as I ended up cutting off about two feet after sewing it to the bag and adjusting it. Use a brighter yarn, or one with a higher contrast, for the second color -- the light green blends in too well with the dark green on the strap and pocket. I think I'd also put a third button hole in the middle of the flap.( Collapse )
My own -- a lace pattern from the second Barbara Walker treasury, re-written to fit neatly into a triangle, as it was written to form a square. Started at the point of the shawl and increased two stiches per row. Knitted until I nearly ran out of yarn, did a crochet bind off. Yarn:
Un-named, undyed 100% alpaca from Weaving Works in Seattle -- about 600 yards. It is heavenly soft. Modifications:
None, I guess, as I made it up as I went along.Things I'd do differently:
Probably try to make it a more traditional triangle shawl, with a column of increases up the middle as well as up the edges. I'd then have to chart it so that the pattern would fit correctly in the triangles, but after the 3 or 4 tries it took me to get it right for this shawl, I think I'd be able to do that. If I did, I'd also find a better bind off. I think I may need to block it again, as it's curling somewhat at the top, and the lace pulled in a little -- might have to be more vigorous with it, but I wasn't sure how firm I could be with alpaca. ( Collapse )
I also have a modified Chickami
to post, but I'll need the boy's help for pictures of that.