After my question about Sugar'n Cream
cotton yarn the other day, I decided it couldn't hurt to try it for this project, since it's a quick knit anyway. I can see how this yarn wouldn't do very well for a larger garmet, since cotton in general is so heavy and doesn't keep its shape very well. I didn't have any problems with the quality of this yarn, however, so I'm not quite sure why it seems to inspire the hate. I didn't find it overly stiff (even without washing, just straight off the skein), I had no problems with it being splitty, and no shedding to speak of (unlike Cotton Tots, which was the bane of my existence on the one project I used it for).
So, on to the project...Knitty's Katja
, a summer baby halter. I opted to knit this in the round instead of flat (as the instructions are written) and seaming up the back. I hate seaming. One note I'll make for anyone else who might think about doing it this way is to re-write the instructions for yourself, since the notations on when to knit all rows and when to knit in stockinette can be vexing if you're not paying close attention.
As you'll see in my pic, right after the cups are grafted to the body, there was supposed to be a section of garter stitch and the pattern instructions said "Rows 2-4: K all sts". I had a brain fart and did exactly that...knitted all the stitches on those rows, except that because I was knitting in the round, I wound up with stockinette for those rows instead of garter. By the time I realized I'd done it wrong, I was too lazy to frog, so I just moved the first section of garter stitch down a few rows.
This, however, left me with a new problem. Right after the first garter stitch section, there's a row with kfb increases every 4th stitch. This row of increases would have been hidden by being right along the bottom row of the garter stitches, but since I forgot that part, they're hanging right there in the open in my stockinette stitch. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to leave it this way or try to work in some sort of embellishment on that row to hide it.( Collapse )
New skills aquired on this project:
1. Provisional cast on - the cups are worked on their own by crocheting a chain and picking up stitches for the bottom edge along the chain. This chain of waste yarn is later snipped out and the piece is transferred to a dpn to be grafted to the body.
2. Grafting separately knitted pieces to main piece of knitting - I got this wrong the first time around, I knitted the cups on backwards (further confused by the fact that I was knitting in the round) and had to frog and redo. For the overlap of the cups on the front of the bodice, you're actually grafting from both cups onto the main body at once, similar to grafting sock toes using a three needle bind off. I think it came out pretty well for my first (OK, second, since I had them backwards on my first attempt) time.
Surpisingly enough, I've actually woven in all loose ends and have this totally finished (unless I decide to embellish over the increase row) in a timely manner. I started this Tuesday evening and finished Thursday evening, which is pretty good considering I spent most of Thursday pumping 5k gallons of water out of my basement (I live near W-B, PA...flooding, ack!)
Overall, a cute and fast project, and Sugar'n Cream worked fine!