Finally, an attempt to post a finished object.
I liked the Wedgewood Sweater from Interweave Knits, but not the way the sleeves seemed to fit around the armhole, and I had this rayon yarn that I bought 15 years ago in Turkey which didn't have a gauge anywhere near what the pattern suggested. ( Collapse )http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/preview/2006_summer.asp
What to do? I widened the basic Paisley motif from 12 to 15 st by adding extra reverse stockingette stitches between the motifs, and decreased them out every 6-8 rows as I went up the pattern. I decided that ten motifs would allow for the best positioning around the yoke. Since I didn't know how many inches that would make around the yoke, I knit a couple rows of waste yarn and set the pattern up on circular needles. As it turned out where the pattern ended was about where I wanted the neckline anyhow, otherwise I would have extended that pattern a little hight, maybe decreasing occsionally between what turned out to be 2x2 ribbing. Unfortunately the photogrph doesn't show the pattern very well, probably due to the flash. (Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out how to upload a picture.)
Having done that, I ripped out the waste yarn and picked up the stitches to knit down. Since this is reverse stockingette, I simply knit it from the inside. did a few short rows to make the back neck higher, and did raglan increases down to the armpit.
Then I knit the body down to the length I wanted (shorter fits my figure type better), and then knit the sleeves down, I trieid using magic loop with circs, then the two circulat round knitting, and finally broke down and went out and got DPNs. It broke my heart to do it as the store only had sets of four DPN's when I wanted five. (Three neeedles and a working needle make a triangle, which doesn't flex with my hands). I like three quarter sleeves though I actually had enough yarn to make them a bit longer, and I added a few short rows at the elbow.
At any rate, Voila, the finished product, modeled.