This is in the baby size for a little girl. I modified the brim to add a ruffle.
Side view of the laciness:
That first one was an absolute nightmare to start, so I made my own knitting needles to start this one. They were weightless, small, and grabby. My main problem with the first was that the needles were heavy and kept sliding out. So these worked a treat. I might make some in more sizes. I worked with these until there were 8 or 9 stitches on each, and then I switched to the normal needles.
This is the toddler size for a boy, obviously. I worked it exactly to the pattern this time.
So, this is the beach cover that I'm dreaming up as I go. This is a lacy skirt so far:
You can't see the stitches too well, but wasn't in the mood to take a better pic. I'm eventually going to switch to solid knitting when I get to the waist. My idea for this was not so much a cover up to protect me from the sun, merely something dress-like to wear over the swimsuit to get to the beach/pool/whatever. I'm going to Aruba in July, so I figured that the bright blue would be acceptable there! I haven't figured out how I'm going to decrease to the waist yet, but since the skirt is so loose, I might just switch to smaller needles. I don't want it to be skin tight, and I can always add a belt or a corset-like string on the sides or back if I find it necessary.
I hope the pics worked...this is the first time I'm using photobucket because my normal webspace is playing up big time! Let me know if there are problems.